Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Emo rant.

I can deconstruct and then demolish anything you give me. At least in my head, I can write off almost anything no matter how great it is, how thought provoking it is. What is deep is also pretentious, what is light is way too superficial. The mainstream alternative on the radio is too "commercial" and sell-outy, the indie that is made in the basements of Austin, Texas is too half-baked and wanting-to-be-different. This.. incredible capacity to hate. It's worse than nihilism you know. They seek to "clear the ground" because they're a force that needs to account. Force without matter.

This brand of.. absolute loathing or contempt for every intangible idea and concept, every breathing entity. Its purposeless. We're not seeking to clear the ground, we're not seeking to establish a new order the way those 19th century realists were. We're only seeking to hate.

You see it everywhere, in those case-taking sessions in college where it's a who-can-hate-more competition thinly garbed as humour, in class where you hate the feminists for wanting everyone to be a lesbian and you hate the sexists for being sexist. It's a gift.

OF course, I'm not saying that I'm some emo kid who hates everything, naw. Just lamenting this capacity I have. It's POSSIBLE, you know. Like I COULD be an all-loathing emo kid so easily if I wanted to.

And that's a super-power I don't want.

No comments: